Required Qualifications for DPS Road Test
Champions Driving School is authorized by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) as a third-party skills testing (TPST) school. We’ve administered thousands of DPS Road Tests at both of our locations in Pinehurst (Tomball/Magnolia) or Cypress/Houston.
You can take the test with us even if you already attempted it at the DPS!
In order to qualify for the official driving test and receive your driver’s license, you need to meet the state’s requirements.
Documents needed at the time of your test are age specific. Please review the requirements below (click each link to see an example):
TEENS aged 16-17
A valid Texas Learner’s License (Permit) held for at least 6 months. Tip: Check the date on the back of your permit.
– A valid DE-964 certificate (or parent-taught equivalent) showing completion of a Full Driver Education Course (32 classroom hours – 14 laboratory hours – 30 practice hours).
– Certificate of completion from the Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) video, dated within 90 days of the road test. This must be watched AFTER your drivers ed. course is completed in full.
– Your parent or legal guardian must accompany you to your driving test appointment. If you completed a parent-taught program, your TDLR-registered parent instructor must be present at the time of your test.
–Verification of Enrollment (VOE) from your high school. The example can be used if you are homeschooled.
(If you are 18 years old, but completed the teenager program, you need to follow the above requirements.)
YOUNG ADULT aged 18-24
– A valid Texas Learner’s License/B-restricted Driver’s License.
– A valid ADE-1317 certificate (usually purple) showing completion of the Adult (6 hour) Driver Education Course.
– Certificate of completion from the Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) video, dated within 90 days of the road test. This must be watched AFTER your drivers ed. course is completed in full.
(If you are 18 years old, but completed the teenager program, you need to follow the TEEN requirements.)
ADULT aged 25 and above
– A valid Texas Learner’s License/B-restricted Driver’s License
– Certificate of completion from the Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) video, dated within 90 days of the road test.
IMPACT TEXAS DRIVERS (ITD) PROGRAM
Anyone who will be taking a road test is required to successfully complete the Impact Texas Driver (ITD) Program according to their age and bring the certificate for proof of completion to their test appointment.
Distracted driving is the leading cause of automobile deaths in the US. The goal of the ITD Program is to make drivers aware of the risk of being involved in automobile accidents and the dangers of distracted driving.
There are currently two different ITD Programs:
Both videos are free of charge. The video must be watched within 90 days before your test date, but it must be completed after finishing your driver’s education course in its entirety. This is a very important detail. The DPS and any TPST school cannot accept the video certificate if it was watched prior to your drivers ed. course completion date.